First things first, let me begin this post by telling you some things that must be considered:
- I had not used any toners before I got this. It’s been ages since I last used one.
- I was having a bad skin day when I received it – more like bad skin dayS – so my skin was rough and I had several pimples on my forehead, somewhere on the cheeks, and around the mouth area.
- I’m not a doll so I don’t have a perfect skin. I’ve had pimple marks and scars and that’s that.
- I don’t get facials. The first and the last time I did was at Flawless Sta. Rosa back in 2016, and that’s how I got my huge pimple scar on my right cheek underneath my eye. I had an acne when I went there, and my attendant pricked it.
- Of course, this is not the only product that I’m currently using. However, I can tell that the results I got was from this product, since the other products were already being used even before I had the toner.
- This product was sent to me to try and review.
DO NOTE, THOUGH, THAT I ALWAYS GIVE MY SUPER DUPER HONEST OPINION AND I BASE EVERYTHING ON HOW I FEEL DURING THE PROCESS AND HOW GOOD THE OUTCOME IS. SO IF I SAY I LOVE IT, THAT MEANS I LOVE IT, AND IF I SAY I HATE IT, THAT MEANS I HATE IT.
ALSO, REMEMBER THAT NOT BECAUSE IT WORKS FOR ME, IT WILL WORK FOR YOU. BUT WHO KNOWS? RIGHT? BETTER TRY IT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF. 😉
Okay, let’s get started!
You may have read two Nature Skin Secrets products on my blog – the Detox Mask with Black Combo and You Glow Girl Gold Collagen Detox Mask. In case you haven’t yet, I mentioned on both posts that the thing I don’t like about them is the lack of information on labels. I always read the labels before actually diving into any product. (Comment below if you do it, too!)
Rest assured, next time you’re purchasing, the amazing people behind the brand are going to include a card, so noobs like me who depend on labels will know how and when to use the products.
Now let’s talk about the product. Toners are used to remove oil and grime on the face and combat breakouts. They are also used to restore skin’s PH balance and to prep our skin for moisturizing. So toners can be used twice a day – in the morning and at night. But according to Ms. Cecil of Nature Skin Secrets, their Skin Purifier Black Toner should be used only in the morning after washing the face and before moisturizing.
The product was covered in bubble wrap when I received it. A little amount spilled during the shipment, but it was really nothing to be bothered about since it was just moist not too wet. It is housed in a black translucent plastic bottle with a flip-top cap. I love the rustic look of the label, where you can see the name of the brand, the name of the product, and a simple description “Philippine Made + All Natural”.
Since the label doesn’t say too much about the product, I searched for the details on IG, and according to their post, its active ingredients are: mulberry extract, carica papaya, Vitamin B3, and activated charcoal.
Let’s dive a little deeper into these ingredients.
- Mulberry extract is an antioxidant. It protects the body from free radicals. It clears out dark spots and blemishes, and is a good anti-aging agent.
- Carica papaya is more commonly known as papaya, which I’m pretty sure you already know, gives a lot of benefits to our skin. It is, by far, the most popular whitening ingredient that’s why it is often used in making whitening soaps, facial wash, body wash, cleansers, toners, etc. It moisturizes dry skin and repairs aged skin. (And gurrrrrl, masarap siya with milk and sugar tapos if-freeze mo. haha!)
- Vitamin B3, also known as Niacinamide, has a lot of benefits on our skin. As we’ve all learned in our Science & Health classes, lack of Vitamin B3 in our body may lead to skin diseases. So you might wanna load up on food that’s rich in niacine, such as chicken breast, liver, tuna, mushroom, and peanuts (if you’re not allergic). Niacine or Niacinamide helps reduce wrinkles and heal acne. It also helps reduce uneven skin tone.
- Activate charcoal sucks dirt, oil, chemicals, and other impurities that lodge onto our skin, most especially after a long day.
Now let’s get to the important part – the application. You might want to shake the bottle first before using it to mix everything well. Add a few drops of the black toner onto a cotton pad. You don’t need to make the cotton pad too wet.
Gently wipe the cotton pad onto your face. As for me, I always start on my left cheek. It doesn’t really matter where you want to start. I’m left-handed, so it’s just normal for me to start on the left. 😉 You do you! ^_^
What you MUST do, though, is to use upwards and outwards sweeping motion. Do not go back and forth or downwards to reduce sagging and to avoid friction on our skin.
Do not forget about the neck! They need some lovin’, too!
The scent isn’t something that I have not smelled before. It’s the usual smell of toners, and if you’re used to that, it won’t really bother you much – unless you have high olfactory sensitivity.
But if I am going to compare it with the other toners I’ve used, this one has not stung my eyes or nose. With some toners, I always had to hold my breath everytime I applied them near my nose. I always had to keep my eyes shut. In all fairness to Nature Skin Secrets Skin Purifying Black Toner, I never experienced any of that.
After I apply the toner, I rub my hands together and press them against my skin. The warmth of my palms will help the skin absorb the product more. I give it a three to five-minute window before I put on my moisturizer.
I started using it the day after I received it – January 30th. It’s been 10 days and I seriously have not experienced any breakouts, irritations, or redness.
Though on my third or fourth day, some parts of my face were a bit itchy, particularly the parts where I had blemishes. I supposed that was a good sign that the product was working.
As of this writing, the bumps have lessened and my skin looked better than when I first used this toner.
I truly like the toner because it seems as if my skin likes it, too. My face feels super clean; and it doesn’t feel too tight or dry after the application. I didn’t feel anything weird when using it – no sting! Remember my pimple near my right brow?
It has gotten much smaller! It isn’t too swollen anymore. There’s still a little bump and redness, but not inflamed or painful. The one on my chin and on my nose have gone, and my skin has stayed calm!
I am really happy I got to try this product, and though I am open to trying different products, I would say that this toner will be one of those I can stick to. I also recommend that you try it, most especially if you have oily and acne-prone skin like I do. Ah! And if you’re always exposed to smoke, dust, and sweat, you may want to give this a go to clear and protect your skin from irritations and breakouts.
Here’s a screenshot from the most recent video that I filmed (watch out for that!) showing you a much recent look.
Here’s a closer look:
One bottle holds 50ml of the product and costs P180. I think it’s not a bad price for something that does what it claims. Also, because it is only used once a day, it will surely go along way.
Let’s not leave out the fact that it’s a local brand, and I am all for supporting our own as long as it works. It’s also made with natural ingredients so you can be sure that your skin is in good hands.
Have you ever tried a black toner before? If yes, which brand did you use and how did it go? If no, would you try this? Comment below~
Check Nature Skin Secrets on IG: @natureskinsecrets
They’re really warm and accommodating!
Hope you follow me on YouTube: MyRikaness
And on Instagram: @MyRikaness
On Twitter: @rixbajns
Like my Facebook page: @RikaNobela
Follow me on Bloglovin’: @RikaNobela
Let’s be friends!